Biography | Profile Of Prof.Eno Blankson Ikpe
Prof Eno Ikpe was born into the great IKPE’S family of Ikot Akpanya village, northern iman ward 2, Etinan Local Government Area.
Prof. Eno Blankson Ikpe had her early education in Ikot Akpanya where she obtained her First School Leaving Certificate (FSLC) and later proceeded to Adiahaobong Secondary School Uyo where she passed with grade one in her West African School Leaving Certificate in 1974.
She got admitted into the University of Nigeria (Calabar Campus) where she bagged a second class upper degree B.A (Hons) in History in 1979 and then proceeded to the prestigious University of Lagos and obtained her M.A in History in 1983.
Prof. Eno B. Ikpe’s desire for higher educational qualification took her all the way across the shores of Nigeria to the University of Muenster, Germany in 1988 where she studied and bagged a Ph.D in Modern and Contemporary Social and Economic History (Magna Cum Laude) Muenster (Germany) in 1993.
Her outstanding academic qualifications made the prestigious University of Lagos retain Prof Eno B. Ikpe after her M.A and appointed her as an Assistant Lecturer in the department of History and International Studies of the University in 1984 where she served for over twenty (20) years and grew through the academic ranks to become an associate Professor, University of Lagos 2005 – 2011.
In 2011, Prof. Eno B. Ikpe transferred her service, wealth of knowledge and experience as a professor of Modern and Contemporary History back to her homeland to the University of Uyo where she served till her appointment into the Akwa Ibom State Executive Council. She has served in various capacities as: adjunct professor in the department of History & International Studies in University of Uyo (UNIUYO) and Akwa Ibom State University (AKSU), director in the center for cultural studies (UNIUYO), Head of department of History & International Studies (UNIUYO), vice dean of Art faculty (UNIUYO), dean of Art faculty (UNIUYO).
Prof. Eno B. Ikpe has various academic distinctions and awards to her credit which includes:
• University of Lagos (UNILAG) Postgraduate (PG) award 1981 – 1983
• German Academic Exchange Service Scholarship (DAAD) for postgraduate studies
• 2006 Excellence Award in higher education by Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio Worldwide among others.
She has presented several award winning papers in International Conferences which among others include:
• “Migrating into servitude: Akwa Ibom Women and Neo-Slavery” presented at the 10th African Conference on Women, gender and sexualities in Africa held at the University of Texas, Austin in March 26 – 28, 2010
• “Spirit Spouse in the belief system of Nigerian people: Research Report” at the 19th World Congress for Sexual health at the International Conference Center Goteborg, Sweden in June 21 – 25, 2009
• “Nigerian Women in International Migration: The Historical records and its implications” being presented at the women and migration conference in Tangiers, Morocco 16 – 19 November 2005.
Prof Eno B. Ikpe who is a God fearing, innovative and versatile church Elder is married and blessed with four (4) children. She has facilitated the formation of various women cooperative groups e.g Northern Iman Women Development Association, she has organized public lectures and trainings both within and outside the academic environment for women and youths to improve their well-being and has taken active part in the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) activities within her ward, Local government Area and the state in general.
Her national and international services includes membership in
• Nigerian University commission (NUC) accreditation team to various Nigerian Universities
• International scientific committee, World Association of Sexologists
• Translation of the United Nations (UN) document – Universal Declaration of Fundamental Human Rights into Efik – Ibibio in 1999
She is a member of over six (6) professional bodies including Historical Society of Nigeria (HSN), National Association of Women Academics, Nigeria (NAWACS), International Oral History Network.
It will amount to volumes upon volumes and beyond the scope of this write-up profiling the numerous achievements of this amiable Iman Ibom daughter who displayed her erudite and pleasant disposition on Wednesday 30th November 2016 during her over 30 minutes screening/confirmation at the plenary of Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly (AKHA) when she emerged as one of the nominees who caught the attention and enthusiastic applause of the whole gallery of the hallowed chamber of AKHA.
It is quite commendable that His Excellency Deacon Udom Gabriel Emmanuel appointed Prof.Eno Blankson Ikpe into the state executive council as this Multilingual historian, widely travelled teacher cum erudite professor is a round peg in a round hole especially in the assigned ministry of Investment, Commerce and Industries that requires a modern and contemporary International investment histories to actualize this administration’s industrialization agenda.She is the chairman of joint technical committee for the actualization of the Oil and Gas Free trade Zone.